One of the fastest growing nonwoven market sectors is medical products. Nonwovens Industry reports:
- “The total consumption of nonwovens in medical applications is expected to reach 351,000 tons by the end of this year, up from 264,000 in 2012, according to research firm Smithers Pira.”
- “Consumption is expected to rise to 427,000 tons in 2023. The value of this market in 2018 is $1.33 billion, rising to $1.54 billion in 2022.”
According to the report, The Future of Global Nonwovens to 2022, the largest segment of nonwovens for medical use is surgical drapes and gowns. Growing concern about infectious diseases has given rise to other applications including:
- Wound dressings
- Head and Shoe Covers
- CSR wrap
- Face Masks
- Blood Filters
Answering the need for easily accessible medical fabrics for decades, nonwovens have continued to offer many advantages over traditional fabrics, including low cost and adaptability.
One way that nonwoven fabrics have ideally served medical needs is by providing the means to develop affordable and disposable products. Before the advent of nonwoven materials, the reuse of fabric medical products such as masks and gowns increased the risk of contamination and spreading of infections. Nonwoven fabrics provide a more effective barrier against bacteria and airborne contaminants.
Nonwoven have long been known for conforming to the challenging needs and demands of medical settings, due to these characteristics:
- Remarkable effectiveness/efficiency
- High performance
- Comfortable feel
- Superior barrier-providing capacity
- Excellent user protection with high tearing & abrasion resistance
- Good cross-contamination control
Due to the critical nature of medical applications, nonwoven medical textile technology is subject to intense scrutiny, which has raised the bar on nonwovens quality. Ongoing innovation in the development of nonwoven materials has made them well-suited for an ever-widening range of medical applications.
WPT Nonwovens is your domestic source for the highest quality and best value in nonwoven materials. Contact us to learn more about how we can serve your needs.